- 1 pound (450 g) carrots, peeled and cut into medium slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) milk, whole
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Generously butter 4 5-ounce (150 ml) ramekins.
- Put carrots in a saucepan, cover them with water, and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook about 15 minutes, or until very tender. Drain thoroughly. Purée in a food processor until smooth.
- Melt butter in saucepan used to cook carrots. Add carrot purée and cook over low heat, stirring often, about 3 minutes, or until butter is absorbed and excess moisture evaporates. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk. Gradually whisk in carrot purée. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Divide carrot mixture among ramekins, tapping each to pack down mixture. Smooth tops, set them in a roasting pan in the oven. Add enough boiling water to pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until firm to the touch; a cake tester inserted into centers should come out dry. Add water to the roasting pan as needed so it doesn’t become dry.
- Remove molds from water bath and let cool for 2-3 minutes. Carefully run a thin-bladed knife around edge of each ramekin. Set small plate atop each mold and invert. Holding them together, tap on towel-covered work surface. Gently lift of the mold. Repeat with each ramekin. Serve hot, room temperature, or cold.